There is no precise data available on the origin of the name of the town: Loculi may derive from the Latin "Locus", meaning, small place or center; or from the Italian "loculo", perhaps referencing some famous funerary crypt or some important cemetery without any remaining traces; still others believe that it might derive from the Latin "lucus" which means, sacred forest. In any case, Loculi was a small sized center and very likely had a Phoenician-Punic center. This was proven in 1959, by the chance discovery on a town street (specifically in Via Arborea), of a "pitcher" containing bronze bracelets, about thirty ancient coins, and a bronze and a carnelian ring with the engraved heads a dog and a bird. Later, at the beginning of the tenth century, four independent kingdoms were established in Sardinia that had their own borders and their own armies. These kingdoms were called "judicatures": Loculi, along with Galtellì, Irgoli and Onifai belonged to the judicature of Gallura. Between the fifteenth and twentieth centuries, seventeen churches were built; of these, unfortunately only two remain that of San Pietro and that of the Madonna della Difesa. Among the oldest is the church of Sant 'Antonio, that of San Giovanni Battista and that of Santa Maria di Lopè (built before 1941).
Loculi is a small village in the province of Nuoro, a few kilometers from the Eastern coast of Sardinia, in the plain crossed by the Sologo, the tributary of the Cedrino, in a mainly hilly territory. The geographical location is such that, since ancient times, men who chose this location to settle their homes found the best conditions to live and defend themselves. The shape of the site and its proximity to the coastal front are also a testament to the numerous civilizations that have passed through this area. The oldest verified human presence in Loculi, dates back to the Neolithic period, as documented by the “Domos de Janas”, also called "Concheddas" located in proximity of the town: among the most important are Pira ‘e Tusu. In the area of Loculi, there are also Nuraghi : that of Caraocu (or Corricanu), Preda Longa, and that of Survare. The latter, now destroyed, was located in town. The original heart of Loculi formed slowly, back from the time man left cave dwellings and other prehistoric construction and began to build simple homes; the ruins still a testament to so many mysterious events in human life. The territory is distinguished by a massive presence of oak and centuries old holm-oak trees, olive trees, junipers and strawberry trees, and is home to numerous animal species, from the most well-known such as wild boars, hares and foxes to the rarest, such as mouflon and goshawks.
Loculi is a town steeped in its traditions and cultural activities, particularly sports activities, as shown by the commitment of numerous associations dedicated to promoting the town and its cultural heritage. The folk group "Sa Defessa", formed by the town's youth, the tenor voices of "Santu Pretu", made up of boys that enliven festivals with their voices, events and exhibitions, the “Corvi Orosei Rugby” sports club, established in 2014 based on the idea of a group of Baroniesi area young men united by the desire to promote rugby culture, and lastly, the "Loculi" canine association.
Loculi is a town attentive to religious traditions. The main feasts are "Sa Defessa" which is celebrated on the last Sunday of August and "Santu Pretu”, the town patron, which is celebrated on January 18 th . Of course there are always festivities in honor of Sant 'Antonio and Holy Week rituals and celebrations, where the Confraternita di Santa Rughe [Brotherhood of Santa Rughe] (Santa Croce) which was formed between 1725 and 1733, assumes a deeper role. In August 2010, due to the restoration of an abandoned and almost dilapidated building, "Sa domo de artes and de sas sos mestieris was established, which exhibits striking black and white photographs taken by the famous photographer, Carlo Bavagnoli, in Loculi, Irgoli and Onifai for a reportage in 1959 for "l' Espresso" magazine.
Loculi currently has just over 500 inhabitants. The main activities are still linked to agriculture and sheep farming, driving elements of the local economy. In recent years, craft activities such as leather and ceramic handicrafts, have developed.