In 1927 the city of Nuoro was promoted to the rank of province: that implicated an important change in the status from a political and an administrative point of view, that, in the spirit of the regime, had to find an immediate visual (and operational) corresponding in the creation of new official representation and public utility buildings, true benchmarks for bordering towns too. That is the reason why, inside the bigger drawing that would have given a new urban look to a built-up area, distinguished by humble low houses developed on one or two floors, the Palazzo delle Poste in Piazza Crispi - a building that will be in the spotlight thanks to national publications in the field - holds a double record: it was the first work inaugurated in 1927 (even if its works had started two years before) as well as the first mail building ever built by the well-known architect Angiolo Mazzoni. This designer, a functionary at the Ministry for Communications (post offices and railways, they were grouped at that time) as well as the future author of several mail buildings and stations all over the national territory, according to a precise propaganda political plan, he would have left the marks of its Sardinian actions in Golfo Aranci too (where he designed a small stone building for the telecommunication installations between Sardinia and the Italian Peninsula, today lost) and in Cagliari (where he arranged a project for railway worker's houses).
The Palazzo delle Poste in Nuoro shows, in a polished and monumental key, the attention of the great architect to a building language, typical of the Island in the selection of materials: grey granite left rough and red trachyte - processed to create flat surfaces - merge in a play of masses and impressive volumes, whose details are enhanced by ornamental supplements - such as, for example, diamond-cut elements that frame sideways the windows overlooking via Papandrea -. The entrance, whose access is by means of a staircase, is forerun by a portico with five openings and round arches dominated by a red trachyte strip on which sculptural insertions appear: a lion (through colorful concrete casting) - which recalls the analogous one placed inside Santa Giusta medieval Cathedral - and some stylised mascarons, nearly theatrical - with a déco mould (while Fasces formerly there have been clearly removed) -. A red trachyte frame accentuates and underlines with curious repeated strips the top of the tower too, placed on the right side, probably the most distinguishing element of the whole building that turned out to be further wrapped by frames, which go down from the top to the ground. The left side of the Palazzo, once distinguished by a low apse and tampered with during the 60's due to enlargement needs, have been rebuilt so as to lose the lightness from the original plan of the building, more "open" on the side bending over via Dante, including the courtyard loss too and therefore, hampering the chance to enjoy Mazzoni's architectural solutions, from the gate to all decorations (scattered and placed inside the fountains of Nuoro) and interior furniture (designed by Mazzoni himself, according to his unique rationalist metaphysical style, absolutely functionalist) that have recently been dispersed.
Since its launch, the Palazzo delle Poste has represented the true heart of the new fascist Nuoro. As a result of its strategic and dominating position, it contributed to give a precise orientation to the new lines of development of the expanding area: in its immediate vicinity there are, indeed, the Chamber of Commerce, the Istituto Magistrale, the Liceo Ginnasio "G. Asproni" and the Government building, all built during the 30's.
Exactly together with the Chamber of Commerce and the Government building, on October, 12th, 2014, the Palazzo delle Poste has been one of the buildings selected by the initiative FAIMARATHON: Alla scoperta della vecchia Nuoro: architettura razionalista, organized by Fondo Ambiente Italiano.
F. Masala, Architettura dall’Unità d’Italia alla fine del ‘900, Nuoro, ILISSO, 2001.